Katy Perry, Adele score at Video Music Awards
The 2011 MTV Video Music Awards ceremony went without a host or much sense of direction Sunday night at Nokia Theatre, as a heartfelt tribute to singer Amy Winehouse and a career-rehab performance from Chris Brown offered strong moments over the course of a wildly inconsistent evening.
In the salute to Winehouse, who died last month at 27, British comedian Russell Brand recalled first hearing her “raw, from-the-guts-of-humanity voice” in London before he knew who she was. “She suffered from alcoholism and drug addiction. A lot of people just get the disease; not everyone gets the talent Amy was blessed with.”
Brand then turned the segment over to Tony Bennett, who had recorded a duet in March with Winehouse for his forthcoming album. “She was so unbelievable,” Bennett said. “Of all the young artists I’ve ever met in the last 20 years, she was a true jazz artist in the tradition of Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday. She had the gift. With real jazz, you can’t just be a jazz singer; either you’ve got it or you haven’t.”
Video footage from their session on the pop classic “Body and Soul” segued into Bruno Mars’ onstage rendition of her bouncy Motown-rooted song “Valerie” in one of the night’s most exuberantly moving live performances.
RB singer Brown scored another with his high-flying performance in which he and other performers were flown through the theater as he sampled his hit “Yeah 3X,” Wu-Tang Clan’s “Protect Ya Neck” and Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit.”
Brown continues efforts to rebuild his career after becoming a virtual pop star non grata because of his attack on then-girlfriend Rihanna in 2009 on their way to the Grammy Awards.
Katy Perry’s “Firework” was named overall video of the year, which she accepted sporting a yellow cube that appeared to be embedded in her head.
“Oh, my goodness, thank you so much,” Perry said as she picked up her VMA Moonman statuette for the video that had logged more than 227 million views as of Sunday night. “I’m very proud of the song it stands for.”
Perry and Adele videos won three each, making them the night’s big winners. Besides overall video of the year for “Firework,” Perry won for collaboration and special effects, both for “E.T.” with Kanye West. Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” video collected awards in three so-called professional categories: art direction, cinematography and editing.
Lady Gaga had many of her peers and other onlookers slack-jawed with her opening performance-art appearance as her chain-smoking, expletive-spewing greaser alter-ego Jo Calderone, which she carried through the evening.
“Earlier tonight they told me I got best video with a message,” Gaga-as-Calderone said when she accepted her second VMA for “Born This Way” in the female video category, after winning the newly added category of best video with a message. “There are so many great artists in this room.
Related news :
- Madge will present Britney Spears with special musical tribute during MTV Video Music Awards
- Katy Perry, Lil Wayne And More (Possible) VMA Winners
- Madonna to give Spears special tribute
- Pink-Haired Katy Perry’s Limousine Cheetos Run
- Katy Perry, Darren Criss & Rebecca Black Highlight
- Katy Perry and Russell Brand noticeably apart at 2011 MTV VMA afterparty, sparks rumors of trouble
- Katy Perry knows why there is so much love when it comes to the VMAs
- Katy Perry’s ‘Firework’ Is VMA Video Of The Year
- Katy Perry, Kanye West Share Best Collaboration VMA
- Can you picture Lady Gaga surfing?
- Lady Gaga on the beach
- Katy Perry Sad After Jessie J, Rihanna Videos Miss Out On MTV VMA 2011 Nods – Sound
- Justin Bieber covers Lil Wayne’s ‘How to Love’ [Video]
- Taylor Swift in a stunning Tacoma show
- Justin Bieber, his Ferrari doing fine after accident
- Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj wear Dubai couture at MTV awards
- Katy Perry and Russell Brand – VMA Love
- Bieber crash
- Katy Perry and Russell Brand `inseparable at VMAs`
- Steal Her Style: Jennifer Lopez’s Cropped Metallic Sweater
- Katy Perry wears Dubai couture at MTV awards
- Lady Gaga, Katy Perry big winners at VMAs
- Katy Perry, Adele To Continue Ladies’ VMA Hot Streak?
- Katy Perry, Adele, More: VMA Ladies’ Night?
- Rihanna’s ‘Cheers’ Video Has a Celebratory Vibe (Video)
- Lady Gaga and Katy Perry set for Britney tribute
- Gaga, Perry to pay tribute to Britney
- Stars lined up for Britney Spears tribute at MTV awards
- Friday, round two: Katy Perry and Rebecca Black re-team onstage
- Taylor Swift ‘Beyond Excited’ About VMA Nod
- Shakira, Rihanna, Katy Perry Rock at the Rio Music Festival (Photos)
- Perry does Tango in Buenos Aires
- Are you watching Russell? Katy Perry gets cosy with her backing dancer as they party all night (and morning) in Rio
- Simon Cowell: Beyonc
- Rihanna: ‘Extreme Makeover’ Surprise Guest!
- Katy Perry Wears Mask Disguise Ahead Of Rock In Rio With Rihanna – Sound
- Russell Brand `wants to see Katy Perry on X Factor`
- Sick Katy Perry Postpones Her September 11 Concert
- Katy Perry or Adele: Who really rules today’s pop charts?
- Justin Bieber: tech start-up investor?
- Justin Bieber Earns Bragging Rights, Raises $10K at Charity Basketball Game
- Justin Bieber In The Return Of Punk
- Katy Perry: ‘Sparks fly’ at VMAs
- Lady Gaga to open MTV Video Music Awards
- Justin Bieber Remixes Drake’s ‘Trust Issues’ Before VMAs
- Katy Perry: From VMA Rookie To VMA Royalty
- Rihanna, Nicki Minaj to premiere
- Nicki Minaj & Rihanna to Preview ‘Fly’ Video at 2011 MTV VMAs
- Katy Perry won’t leave home without baby wipes
- Katy Perry finding it hard to stay vegetarian
- Rihanna Almost Wigs Out At 2010 VMAs In ‘VMAs Revealed’
- Katy Perry, Kesha, Lady Gaga Part of Britney Spears Tribute at MTV VMAs?
- Katy a huge inspiration: Rebecca
- Katy Perry Pink Hair (Photo): Love It or Hate It?
- Katy Perry Already Thinking About Her Next Record!
- Katy Perry steps out with pink hair
- SIZZLING KATY PERRY WON’T LET NEW SINGLE BE THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY
- Katy Perry releasing companion fragrance to Purr, launching Twitter contest
- Kesha to design own ‘freedom, leopard-themed’ watch collection [Asian News International]
- Katy Perry – Katy Perry To Get Fans’ Help On Perfume
- Rihanna wraps a busy week of touring in Ireland
- Katy Perry launching new perfume
- Jessica Simpson: Trying to Fuel Pregnancy Rumor?
- Is Jessica Simpson dining out for two?
- Katy Perry Makes ‘Special’ Plans for Unreleased ‘Teenage Dream’ Tracks
- Obama appoints Shakira to Hispanic education panel
- Taylor Swift Writes a Song ‘About Moving On’ for Her Next Album
- Katy Perry ‘Freshening Up’ Unreleased Songs
- Rihanna to Vogue UK: Being a role model became ‘more of my job than I wanted it to be’
- Katy Perry Dressed as Old Lady on ‘One That Got Away’ Video Shoot
- Kesha Bikini Photo at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|Kesha’s Day Of Adventure In Rio De Janeiro
- Asked & Answered | Johnny Wujek
- Shakira to be Awarded Person of the Year
- Angelina Jolie to take on new role in refugee crises
- Rihanna: I Had No Idea the C-Word Was Offensive!
Tags: jazz, Katy, mtv video music, mtv video music awards, singer, video music awards, violence, virtual pop star, West, wu tang clan —