Katy Perry Sets Sights On Tying Michael Jackson’s No. 1s Record With ‘Friday’ Remix
By Keith Caulfield (@keith_caulfield), Los Angeles
Katy Perry is on the verge of tying an incredible Billboard Hot 100 chart record — held by Michael Jackson — thanks to some help from Missy Elliott.
Jackson owns the record for the most Hot 100 No. 1 singles from one album — with five from his 1987 album “Bad.” Presently, Perry has four No. 1s from her “Teenage Dream” set. Its fifth single, “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F),” rests at No. 2 on the chart this week.
However, on Monday, Aug. 8, a new remix of “Friday” (featuring Missy Elliott) will hit radio airwaves, the web and digital retailers.
If the sales, airplay and streams of the track are strong enough, it could push the song to No. 1 in the coming weeks. (All versions of a song and its remixes are generally merged together for charting purposes.) Last week, it trailed the current Hot 100 No. 1, LMFAO’s “Party Rock Anthem,” by about 50,000 digital downloads on the Digital Songs chart. Over on the Hot 100 Airplay tally, “Friday” was behind “Party” by 2 million in audience points and had been the greatest gainer for the past three weeks.
This late-in-the-game remix-release strategy has become a popular concept in recent months. In April, Rihanna enlisted Britney Spears for a remix of the former’s “SM” that prompted its jump to No. 1. Shortly after that, Spears turned to Nicki Minaj and Ke$ha to help out with a remix of her “Till the World Ends.” Its release helped push the single 11-3 on the Hot 100.
But let’s get back to Perry versus Jackson. Perry has so far claimed four No. 1s from “Teenage Dream” — “California Gurls,” the title track, “Firework” and “E.T.” (featuring Kanye West). “Last Friday Night” is in its second week at No. 2 and its seventh frame in the top 10.
Jackson’s five No. 1s from “Bad” are “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You,” the title track, “The Way You Make Me Feel,” “Man in the Mirror” and “Dirty Diana.” Some fans might have immediately thought “Thriller” held the record for the most No. 1s, since it was such a monster album. While it did spawn seven top 10 hits, only two of them — “Billie Jean” and “Beat It” — hit No. 1.
Related news :
- Rihanna Roars Onto Hot 100 as LMFAO Get ‘Sexy’ in Top 10
- Katy Perry Releases Sixth Single from Teenage Dream
- Katy Perry hangs on to #1 for second week
- Katy Perry thanks fans for chart record
- Katy Perry matches Michael Jackson’s Billboard record
- Katy Perry ties Jackson record on Billboard – AP
- Adam Levine and Christina Aguilera’s ‘Jagger’ tops for third week
- Katy Perry Announces Sixth
- Katy Perry’s ‘Last Friday Night’ Named Song Of The Summer – Sound
- Adam Levine and Christina Aguilera’s ‘Jagger’ tops music chart
- Maroon 5 and Christina Aguilera’s ‘Moves Like Jagger’ Tops Hot 100 Chart
- Katy Perry ties King of Pop
- Katy Perry ties Jackson record on Billboard
- Katy Perry Ties Michael Jackson’s Hot 100 Record
- Katy Perry ties Michael Jackson for album hits
- Katy Perry Ties Michael Jackson With Fifth #1 Song
- Katy Perry makes Billboard chart history with fifth No. 1
- Katy Perry Makes ‘Special’ Plans for Unreleased ‘Teenage Dream’ Tracks
- Christina Aguilera Calls ‘Moves Like Jagger’ ‘So Unique’
- Weekly Chart Notes: Mick Jagger, LMFAO, Taylor Swift
- Katy Perry Gives a Longing Look in ‘One That Got Away’ Cover Art
- Christina Aguilera, Maroon 5′s ‘Moves Like Jagger’: Her Greatest Collabo?
- ‘Jagger’ stays atop U.S. record chart
- Katy Perry vs. LMFAO for the song of summer
- Katy Perry hits pop gold by learning to play the game
- Katy Perry charmed crowd during concert at KFC Yum! Center – Courier
- Katy Perry or Adele: Who really rules today’s pop charts?
- Katy Perry track wins
- Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj wear Dubai couture at MTV awards
- Katy Perry Sets Another Record on the Pop Charts
- Maroon 5, Christina Aguilera’s ‘Jagger’ Moves to No. 1 on Hot 100
- Katy Perry wears Dubai couture at MTV awards
- Lady Gaga, Katy Perry big winners at VMAs
- Katy Perry ‘Proud’ To Make Chart History
- Katy Perry ties Michael Jackson’s chart record
- Star-Crossed Rivals Britney Spears And Christina Aguilera Finally Meet In The Top 10
- LMFAO Still Ruining Perry’s Party
- Katy Perry Gets Missy Elliott To Party On ‘Last Friday Night’ Remix
- Record Rewind: An Original Blonde
- Live review: Katy Perry at the Nokia Theatre
- Katy Perry misses out on topping U.S. pop chart high five
- Christina Aguilera Signs Up For The Jennifer Lopez Comeback Plan
- Katy Perry blends impressive visuals, audio in Salt Lake
- Katy Perry blends visuals and impressive audio to Salt Lake City
- Katy Perry ‘Freshening Up’ Unreleased Songs
- Katy Perry, Robyn, Ke$ha Jane Doze Mashup = Best Song Ever
- The Morning Mix: Jessica Simpson Reportedly Pregnant
- Jennifer Lopez, Enrique Iglesias Go ‘Mouth 2 Mouth’ On New Track
- Shakira, Rihanna, Katy Perry Rock at the Rio Music Festival (Photos)
- Katy Perry Debuts "The One That Got Away" Cover Art
- Katy Perry Is A Vintage (Pink-Haired) Dream On ‘The One That Got Away’ Single Cover
- Avril Lavigne is all grown up
- Are you watching Russell? Katy Perry gets cosy with her backing dancer as they party all night (and morning) in Rio
- Rihanna: The Greatest Star, The Worst Nicknames
- Bieber and Usher record festive duet
- Rock in Rio returning to Brazil with Katy Perry, Shakira, after a decade abroad
- Justin Bieber Hires Cinema For Date With Selena Gomez
- Rihanna & Katy Perry Party All Night Long in Rio
- Katy Perry Helps Kick Off 2011 Rock In Rio!
- Rihanna Drops ‘We Found Love’ Single
- Katy Perry First Woman to Have Five Number One Songs From One Album on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart
- Jeremy Scott on His Campy Western-Themed Spring Collection and Dressing Katy Perry and Rihanna
- Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Adele lead MTV Europe race
- Rihanna Earns Her 19th Top 10 Single On the Billboard Hot 100 With "Cheers (Drink To That)" – About
- X Factor 2011: Katy Perry returns for another performance
- Sixth Single From Katy Perry’s Teenage Dream To Be Released Next Month
- Katy Perry challenges Michael Jackson’s singles record with sixth cut from ‘Teenage Dream’
- Katy Perry Is Still Teenage Dreaming, Announces Sixth Single
- Katy Perry announces new single, ‘The One That Got Away’ — would it be your pick, too?
- Rihanna duets with Coldplay on ‘Princess of China’: ‘She has an amazing voice,’ says Chris Martin
- Katy Perry one hit away from a broken record
- Katy Perry Hits Another Billboard Record
- Weekly Chart Notes: Mick Jagger, the Muppets, Adele
- Maroon 5, Christina Aguilera’s ‘Moves Like Jagger’ tops Billboard Hot 100
- Justin Bieber to celebrate Christmas in song with Taylor Swift, new original holiday tunes
Tags: album, billboard hot 100, billboard hot 100 chart, Hot, hot 100 airplay, Katy, keith caulfield, party, rock anthem, song —