Weekly Chart Notes: Mick Jagger, LMFAO, Taylor Swift
‘II’ IS 1: At 85 years and two months old, Tony Bennett enjoys his first view from the Billboard 200 summit, as “Duets II” arrives at No. 1.
Due to the star quality on the collaborative set, however, Bennett isn’t the only artist enjoying a maiden voyage to the chart’s top spot.
“With his ‘Duets II’ at No. 1, the octogenarian helps more than one other artist appear atop the chart for the first time: Amy Winehouse,” writes Chart Beat reader Pablo Nelson of Berkeley, Calif. On her own, the late singer rose as high as No. 2 on her own with “Back to Black” in 2008. Bennett and Winehouse teamed for “Body and Soul,” which, by debuting last week at No. 87 on the Billboard Hot 100, made the icon the oldest living artist ever to appear on the survey.
“k.d. lang is another artist at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 courtesy of Bennett without having previously reigned by herself,” Nelson continues. The pair duets on “Blue Velvet.” lang reached a highpoint of No. 8 with 2008′s “Watershed,” her first Billboard 200 top 10.
And, notes Nelson, “Aretha Franklin, 16 years Bennett’s junior, joins in this week’s No. 1 fun thanks to her duet, ‘How Do You Keep the Music Playing’. While the Queen of Soul has ruled the roost on the RB/Hip-Hop Albums, No. 2 has marked her best Billboard 200 peak on her own.” She reached the runner-up spot with 1967′s “I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You” and 1968′s “Aretha” Lady Soul.”
Other artists that Bennett brings to No. 1 who have never led the Billboard 200 with their own projects: Sheryl Crow, who has peaked at No. 2 four times; Willie Nelson, whose top peak by himself, after charting on the list since 1975, is also No. 2; Queen Latifah, who has climbed as high as No. 11 with her own “Trav’lin’ Light” in 2007; Andrea Bocelli (personal best: “My Christmas,” No. 2, 2009); and, Latin star Alejandro Sanz, for whom No. 66 marks his highest lead solo rank.
Artists on “Duets II” for whom No. 1 on the Billboard 200 is old hat? Lady Gaga, John Mayer, Michael Buble, Norah Jones, Josh Groban, Natalie Cole, Faith Hill, Carrie Underwood and Mariah Carey.
“By the way,” adds Nelson, “I’m predicting (perhaps an obvious prediction) that the Grammy folks will give Bennett the Award for best traditional pop vocal album.” With 10, Bennett already claims the record for most wins in the category.
“And, perhaps Maroon 5 and Christina Aguilera will receive best pop duo/group performance honors at next year’s Grammy Awards for ‘Moves Like Jagger’.”
Speaking of Mick …
DEBUTS EXACTLY LIKE JAGGER: As his tribute song rules the Hot 100 for a fourth frame, Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger bows on the Billboard 200 as a member of rock supergroup SuperHeavy. The act’s self-titled debut album starts up at No. 26.
Damian Marley, A. R. Rahman, Dave Stewart and Joss Stone join Jagger in the quintet.
Related news :
- Rihanna Roars Onto Hot 100 as LMFAO Get ‘Sexy’ in Top 10
- Katy Perry Releases Sixth Single from Teenage Dream
- Weekly Chart Notes: Mick Jagger, the Muppets, Adele
- Maroon 5 and Christina Aguilera’s ‘Moves Like Jagger’ Tops Hot 100 Chart
- Katy Perry ‘Proud’ To Make Chart History
- Katy Perry matches Michael Jackson’s Billboard record
- Christina Aguilera fell for Jagger from the start
- Christina Aguilera, Maroon 5′s ‘Moves Like Jagger’: Her Greatest Collabo?
- ‘Jagger’ stays atop U.S. record chart
- Rihanna Earns Her 19th Top 10 Single On the Billboard Hot 100 With "Cheers (Drink To That)" – About
- Katy Perry Announces Sixth
- Maroon 5, Christina Aguilera’s ‘Moves Like Jagger’ tops Billboard Hot 100
- Katy Perry sets another chart record
- Katy Perry Sets Another Record on the Pop Charts
- Maroon 5, Christina Aguilera’s ‘Jagger’ Moves to No. 1 on Hot 100
- Katy Perry ties King of Pop
- Katy Perry hangs on to #1 for second week
- Katy Perry thanks fans for chart record
- Katy Perry ties Jackson record on Billboard
- Star-Crossed Rivals Britney Spears And Christina Aguilera Finally Meet In The Top 10
- Katy Perry ties Michael Jackson for album hits
- Katy Perry ties Jackson record on Billboard – AP
- Katy Perry Sets Sights On Tying Michael Jackson’s No. 1s Record With ‘Friday’ Remix
- Christina Aguilera Calls ‘Moves Like Jagger’ ‘So Unique’
- New Pictures, Video of Justin Bieber Performing in Mexico
- Justin Bieber & Cheryl Cole To Collaborate?
- Katy Perry Is A Vintage (Pink-Haired) Dream On ‘The One That Got Away’ Single Cover
- Go ‘Papi’: Jennifer Lopez’s Busy Week Pays Off on Social 50 Chart
- Shakira To Be Named Latin Grammy Person Of The Year
- Bieber and Usher record festive duet
- Adam Levine and Christina Aguilera’s ‘Jagger’ tops for third week
- Katy Perry First Woman to Have Five Number One Songs From One Album on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart
- Rihanna debuts new single ‘We Found Love’
- Music is always my first love: Christina Aguilera
- Christina Aguilera won’t put movies first
- Jessica Simpson Hints At Music Comeback
- New music videos from Wilco, Avril Lavigne and Das Racist
- Katy Perry Is Still Teenage Dreaming, Announces Sixth Single
- Partying Paris: Ms Hilton gets her groove on at the Miss Ukraine pageant
- Katy Perry or Adele: Who really rules today’s pop charts?
- Eva Longoria, Shakira, Selena Gomez And Zoe Saldana Are Hot Latinas In Red
- Katy Perry Hits Another Billboard Record
- Jessica Simpson plans breast reduction surgery
- Adam Levine and Christina Aguilera’s ‘Jagger’ tops music chart
- Bieber collaborates with Swift
- Megan Fox Explains Marilyn Tattoo Removal
- Shakira plans
- Katy Perry ties Michael Jackson’s chart record
- Katy Perry ties Michael Jackson five-hit record
- Katy Perry Ties Michael Jackson’s Hot 100 Record
- Saturday Hustle – August 13
- LMFAO Still Ruining Perry’s Party
- Adam Levine & Christina Aguilera Release Music Video For Moves Like Jagger
- Katy Perry and Rebecca Black Sing ‘Friday’ Together Onstage (VIDEO)
- Live review: Katy Perry at the Nokia Theatre
- Katy Perry misses out on topping U.S. pop chart high five
- Christina Aguilera Signs Up For The Jennifer Lopez Comeback Plan
- Katy Perry makes US pop chart history
- Katy Perry, "Teenage Dream" make Billboard history
- Christina Aguilera: I love working
- Shakira sets to work on Obama education board
- Rihanna wraps a busy week of touring in Ireland
- Katy Perry launching new perfume
- Megan Fox News: Marilyn Monroe tattoo surgery!!!
- Is Jessica Simpson dining out for two?
- Ke$ha (Kesha) Has a Nip Slip At the Beach in Rio De Janero (PICS)
- Katy Perry Makes ‘Special’ Plans for Unreleased ‘Teenage Dream’ Tracks
- Christina Aguilera hires vocal coach for new album
- Smiling in the rain! Pregnant Jennifer Garner gets a soaking… as Selma Blair and Megan Fox are also drenched in downpour
- Rihanna to Vogue UK: Being a role model became ‘more of my job than I wanted it to be’
- Taylor Swift raps with T.I.
- Megan Fox Spotted Casual,Sexy For Lunch Date In Cali Yesterday
- Asked & Answered | Johnny Wujek
- T.I., Taylor Swift duet in Ga.
- Shakira spotted with Spanish footballer Gerard Pique
Tags: album, andrea bocelli, Billboard, billboard 200, billboard hot 100, Chart, hip hop albums, Hot, latin star, lin light, mick jagger, peak, queen of soul, Sexy, star, Stones —