Weekly Chart Notes: Mick Jagger, the Muppets, Adele
JAGGER-NAUT: Like a Rolling Stone, Maroon 5′s “Moves Like Jagger,” featuring Christina Aguilera, ascends 2-1 on the Billboard Hot 100.
While the coronation causes celebration for the band and Aguilera, it likewise adds new levels of Billboard chart history to the discography of the subject of the ode, Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger.
Not that Aguilera’s return to the top isn’t notable, as well. Her gap of 10 years, three months and one week between reaching No. 1 with “Jagger” and her last leader, “Lady Marmalade” (with Lil’ Kim, Mya and P!nk), in 2001 ends the longest break between leading the list since her “Burlesque” co-star Cher set the Hot 100 record for longest span between No. 1s in 1999, when “Believe” ended a 25-year, two-week hiatus following her reign with “Dark Lady” in 1974.
As for Jagger, however, let’s spend (some time) together looking at how his chart legacy is enhanced courtesy of the Hot 100′s new No. 1.
As “Jagger” jumps to No. 1, the real-life Jagger becomes the first artist to have ruled the Hot 100 and be name-checked in the title of a topper by another act. (That’s not even counting the Temptations’ 1972 No. 1 “Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone,” since it doesn’t refer to the band specifically). The Stones scored eight No. 1s in 1965-78.
Jagger additionally joins the select company of three icons as the only musicians named in the titles of Hot 100 No. 1s.
Here is an updated look at the feted foursome:
Ludwig van Beethoven
“A Fifth of Beethoven,” Walter Murphy the Big Apple Band, 1976
“Sir Duke,” Stevie Wonder, 1977
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
“Rock Me Amadeus,” Falco, 1986
“Moves Like Jagger,” Maroon 5 featuring Christina Aguilera, 2011
“Approaching 50 years since he began recording music, and 47 years after his first Hot 100 chart appearance, there is no hotter name to drop in lyrics these days than Mick Jagger,” writes Chart Beat reader Patrick Kelly of Brampton, Ontario, Canada.
“The legendary rocker was previously mentioned in Ke$ha’s 2010 chart-topper ‘TiK ToK’: ‘We kick ‘em to the curb unless they look like Mick Jagger!’
“Jagger is additionally the title subject of the recent UK No. 1 ‘Swagger Jagger’ by ‘X Factor’ graduate Cher Lloyd and has been mentioned in three other Hot 100 top 10s in the past four years: the Black Eyed Peas’ ‘The Time (Dirty Bit)’ (No. 4, 2010); Jay-Z and T.I.’s ‘Swagga Like Us,’ featuring Kanye West and Lil Wayne (No. 5, 2008); and, Shop Boyz’ ‘Party Like a Rockstar’ (No. 2, 2007),” Kelly adds.
“Jagger was also mentioned as far back as 1989 in the lyrics of the No. 3 rap classic “Funky Cold Medina” by Tone Loc: ‘Cold coolin’ at a bar, and I’m lookin’ for some action / But, like Mick Jagger said, I can’t get no satisfaction.’
“With this kind of publicity, who knows? Maybe this guy has a future in music.”
Related news :
- Weekly Chart Notes: Mick Jagger, LMFAO, Taylor Swift
- Katy Perry Releases Sixth Single from Teenage Dream
- Rihanna Earns Her 19th Top 10 Single On the Billboard Hot 100 With "Cheers (Drink To That)" – About
- Adam Levine and Christina Aguilera’s ‘Jagger’ tops music chart
- Maroon 5 and Christina Aguilera’s ‘Moves Like Jagger’ Tops Hot 100 Chart
- Christina Aguilera Calls ‘Moves Like Jagger’ ‘So Unique’
- Shakira nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Shakira, Rihanna, Katy Perry Rock at the Rio Music Festival (Photos)
- Go ‘Papi’: Jennifer Lopez’s Busy Week Pays Off on Social 50 Chart
- Christina Aguilera, Maroon 5′s ‘Moves Like Jagger’: Her Greatest Collabo?
- ‘Jagger’ stays atop U.S. record chart
- Rihanna Roars Onto Hot 100 as LMFAO Get ‘Sexy’ in Top 10
- Rock in Rio returning to Brazil with Katy Perry, Shakira, after a decade abroad
- Adam Levine and Christina Aguilera’s ‘Jagger’ tops for third week
- Katy Perry First Woman to Have Five Number One Songs From One Album on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart
- Katy Perry or Adele: Who really rules today’s pop charts?
- Maroon 5, Christina Aguilera’s ‘Moves Like Jagger’ tops Billboard Hot 100
- Katy Perry hangs on to #1 for second week
- Katy Perry thanks fans for chart record
- Katy Perry ‘Proud’ To Make Chart History
- Katy Perry matches Michael Jackson’s Billboard record
- Star-Crossed Rivals Britney Spears And Christina Aguilera Finally Meet In The Top 10
- Katy Perry ties Jackson record on Billboard – AP
- Katy Perry
- Katy Perry Sets Sights On Tying Michael Jackson’s No. 1s Record With ‘Friday’ Remix
- Christina Aguilera Signs Up For The Jennifer Lopez Comeback Plan
- Taylor Swift, Jason Aldean To Be Honored On CMT Artists Of The Year Special
- Christina Aguilera: I love working
- Katy Perry Makes ‘Special’ Plans for Unreleased ‘Teenage Dream’ Tracks
- Katy Perry ‘Freshening Up’ Unreleased Songs
- Katy Perry Dressed as Old Lady on ‘One That Got Away’ Video Shoot
- Avril Lavigne makes things less complicated on Goodbye Lullaby
- Christina Aguilera fell for Jagger from the start
- 15 Best Rihanna Videos
- X Factor 2011: Acts like Rihanna and Christina Aguilera told to cover up as Ofcom cracks down on the sexualisation of …
- Katy Perry Delivers The One That Got Away
- X Factor: Acts like Rihanna and Christina Aguilera told to cover up by Ofcom
- Justin Bieber Goes on Titanic Date With Selena Gomez Recap
- The Morning Mix: Jessica Simpson Reportedly Pregnant
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez Share Romantic Hotel Suite
- Justin Bieber & Cheryl Cole To Collaborate?
- Katy Perry Gives a Longing Look in ‘One That Got Away’ Cover Art
- Jennifer Lopez "rising above" split from Marc
- Jessica Simpson `pregnant and took 10 tests`: source
- Avril Lavigne is all grown up
- Simon Cowell: Lady Gaga, Beyonce And Katy Perry Are Boring
- Rihanna grows close to video co-star
- Are you watching Russell? Katy Perry gets cosy with her backing dancer as they party all night (and morning) in Rio
- Rihanna: The Greatest Star, The Worst Nicknames
- Taylor Swift, Blake Shelton, Dolly Parton Nominated at O Music Awards 2
- The softer side of Avril Lavigne
- OFFSTAGE: Taylor Swift Goes Hibachi With Selena Gomez
- Topless Rihanna Outrages Irish Farmer
- Jennifer Lopez Gets a Lap Dance in Las Vegas
- Calvin Harris warned Rihanna collboration ‘better not be rubbish’
- Taylor Swift to release first concert DVD
- Katy Perry Helps Kick Off 2011 Rock In Rio!
- Hooked: Christina Aguilera Wants to Pamper You With Her Scent
- Jennifer Lopez Causes Riots with Papi
- People: Paris Hilton, 50 Cent, the Rolling Stones, Gisele Bundchen – Pittsburgh Post
- Jeremy Scott on His Campy Western-Themed Spring Collection and Dressing Katy Perry and Rihanna
- Taylor Swift To Release Her First Concert CD/DVD Set
- Christina Aguilera won’t put movies first
- Taylor Swift, Blake Shelton, Brad Paisley join CMA Awards performers
- Avril Lavigne ‘Cried for Real’ in Raw ‘Wish You Were Here’ Video
- Christina Aguilera: ‘Music is my first love, not movies’
- Katy Perry dares to go all in
- Katy Perry’s tribute to Queen front man
- Bieber stunned by hometown honour
- Jessica Simpson having breast reduction surgery?
- Rihanna Announces New Album This Fall – Hip
- Taylor Swift Scores Two Spots in Guinness Book of World Records
- Katy Perry vs. LMFAO for the song of summer
- Katy Perry Announces Sixth
- Paris Hilton in Training to Become a House DJ?
Tags: amadeus falco, billboard hot 100, Chart, Hot, ludwig van beethoven, music, papa was a rollin stone, Stones, subject, wolfgang amadeus mozart —